[sane-devel] Canon MF8330cdn

Teemu Suikki zuikkis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:17:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a Canon MF8330cdn multi function device, printer/scanner/copier.

Canon supplies printer drivers which work fine, but scanning doesn't work.

If I connect it with USB, sane-find-scanner says:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon,Inc.], product=0x2708
[MF8330]) at libusb:001:005

.. but scanimage -L doesn't show any scanners.

If I connect it with ethernet, no scanners are detected.

I'm using the latest git version of sane-backends, sane-backends-git20110322.

The network scanning in this device works quite differently to most
other scanners.. The scanning is activated on the scanner, not the
computer. In Windows, I just press "scan" on the scanner, and the
scanned image (jpg, tif or pdf) appears on windows hard drive.. So
actually it's really just a file transfer thing, perhaps this
shouldn't be in Sane at all?

nmap on the scanner IP shows:

80/tcp   open  http
515/tcp  open  printer
9100/tcp open  jetdirect

So there's no scanner port? Apparently the connection is opened from
the scanner side..

--
Teemu Suikki
http://www.ksportfinland.com