[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V500 Photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Nov 4 11:24:25 UTC 2011

"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> writes:

> Is this the latest and last word on suport (or rather the lack thereof)
> for the Epson V500?
>
>    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2010-January/025872.html
>
> If so, this is kind-of depressing, because I'm on FreeBSD, not Linux.

Yes, although the various packages have seen new releases since.
See via:

 [1] http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/

for the latest information.

WRT FreeBSD support, may I suggest you submit a support request[2] so we
get concrete info on how badly people want this.

 [2] https://avasys.jp/eng/contact/inquiry/inq_form4_en.php

> Is it really (still) the case that in order to make the V500 work with SANE
> I have to get some closed-source binary that only runs on Linux?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.  I am not aware of any (successful)
reverse engineering efforts.

> I'm only asking because the guy who maintains the FreeBSD port of the epkowa
> backend suggested that I try the epson2 backend, because he felt that it was
> more up-to-date.

Is that guy talking about the latest iscan release (2.27.1, released on
2011-09-26)?

> But for me, neither than nor the epkowa backend seem to work.
> "sane-find-scanner -q" finds the scanner, but "scanimage -L" does not.  (And
> no, it's not a permissions problem because I get the same result even when
> I'm root.)

Sorry that this doesn't help,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962