[sane-devel] Need some help: Canon MX885, Pixma-protocol (V4) scanner?

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 4 23:23:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 19:18 +0100, 0002 at dummymails.scanea.de wrote:
> Hi List,
> recently I bougt the Canon Pixma MX885 printer-fax-scanner &
> coffee-cooker ;-)
>
> Unfortunately it isn't recognized by sane and I would love to use it
> with sane. But I found the following thread
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2010-July/thread.html#27130
>
> where Nicolas and Matthias were trying, to get the former mx870 running.
> I could need some advice, how to add the mx885 to the file pixma_mp150.c
> and how to deal with possibly occouring problems.
>
> Is there anyone out, who can help me?
>
> Thanx Peer

first find the PID for your device. E.g for my mx980 lsusb shows

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 04a9:172d Canon, Inc., so my PID is 172d.
Add an appropriate line at the top of pixma_mp150.c at the top (right
after the MX870.

Add an s->cfg->spid == MX885 to the if statement around line 1226 (where
the is a check for MX_870_PID

Replicate the MX870 line around line 1643 and change the MX870 refernces
as appropriate.

If the scanners are really close in capabilities and command set that
should do the job.
Check the capabilities (CCD vs CIS sensor) to make sure.

regards, Louis