[sane-devel] Fujitsu owners: help needed

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:16:31 UTC 2011

Yesterday I committed an updated version (108) of the fujitsu backend to
sane-backends git tree. This attempts to correct a series of long-standing
bugs for the now ancient M3091 and M3092. These changes also modify code
that is used by all other scanner models, most of which I do not own.
Hence, I need some assistance to test these machines. If a few of you have
some spare time to build sane from source, and make some scans, I would
appreciate it.

Installation:

1. install the libusb-dev package (or libusb-devel, not sure what your OS
calls it)
2. install gcc package and it's required dependencies (though it's probably
already installed)
3. download latest sane-backends from http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/
4. tar xzf sane-backends...
5. cd sane-backends...
6. run (all on one line):
 BACKENDS=fujitsu ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--disable-locking
 (Note that you might need to add --libdir=/usr/lib64 if that is where your
current sane libs are)
7. make (then wait awhile)
8. copy the file backend/.libs/libsane-fujitsu.so.1.0.23 over top of the
copy provided by your distro, probably /usr/lib/sane/libsane-fujitsu.so.1.0.22
You can save the old one before you overwrite it if you want, just make
sure the replacement uses that exact name.
 9. test with scanimage

Only step #8 needs to be done as root.

Experiments:

Basically these changes deal with the available resolution choices, and
with the transfer of data from the scanner. So, making a series of scans
which change the data volume (by changing mode, resolution, scan size,
duplex, etc) should be sufficient. Switching between flatbed and adf (for
the combination machines) would also be useful. That should be enough to
uncover any problems.

Thanks for your help!

allan