[sane-devel] scanimage problem

Bertie Coopersmith bertie at coopersmith.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 19:06:34 UTC 2011

Having struggled vainly to get the recent release of the HP2400 SANE
driver operating on my Ubuntu 10.04LTS system to produce a colour image
I went back today to my Slackware 10.2 machine (2.4 Kernel) and
installed the Elcot driver on that.

With the Elcot (dll) software installed on Slackware I just give the command
'scanimage > scan.pnp'
-- No arguments for device name or color mode or image format type -- and a good
colour image is produced.

Unfortunately, since the SANE upgrade on my Ubuntu machine I cannot successfully
revert to the Elcot driver. the 'scanimage -L' command outputs a message about a
missing symbol: 'sanei-usb-init'.  Its evidently not fully compatible
with other shared libraries on Ubuntu.

Reverting to the the new SANE (Genesys) driver on Ubuntu, 'scanimage -L' results
in a Segmentation Fault.

I still have the problem, even on the Slackware system, that the scanner sometimes
fails to be recognized by 'lsusb'. Its fixed by re-powering the
scanner. This may be a problem with my scanner.

 I don't normally use my 12-year-old Slackware machine so, if I can't get the Genesys
driver to work on my Ubuntu laptop I may need to get another scanner.

Preferably a flatbed . Will HP Scanjet g4010 work in SANE?

Regards,
Bertie Coopersmith