[sane-devel] Installing scanbd with full EPSON V200 support on Ubuntu [scanbd]

emmanuel.michel at wanadoo.fr emmanuel.michel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 1 21:47:49 UTC 2012

Hi Wilhelm, Hi everyone,

As promised, this is my post to confirm I completed the install of
scanbd on Ubuntu with full support of all four buttons of an "EPSON
Perfection V200 Photo" scanner.

To share my findings, I posted the whole procedure (2 posts) here:

http://thehomeserverhandbook.com/2012/03/03/scanbd_part1/

which explains how to patch scanbd with an "EPSON V200" specific
backend, compile and install it.

http://thehomeserverhandbook.com/2012/03/18/scanbd_part2/

which explains scanbd configuration including a nice script offering the
following functions:
- Single page scan to JPEG
- Instant copy (scan to printer)
- Email creation with JPEG or multi-page PDF attachment
- Multi-page PDF creation
All this using only the scanner front buttons!

Also included is a special udev rule allowing to start xinetd/scanbd
when the scanner is turned on and stop them when the scanner is turned off.

Enjoy!

Emmanuel

(PS: As Ubuntu seems to have replaced inetd/xinetd with upstart now, I
would be glad to start scanbd using upstart. Thanks in advance to those
who will help me.)