[sane-devel] xscanimage not usable in Gimp

Gauthier Vandemoortele gauthier.v at skynet.be
Sun Apr 22 11:36:37 UTC 2012

Hello,

According to the suggestion of Stef, I've installed xscanimage on my
system (Debian testing).

Xscanimage fits my needs rather well, but I can't use it from Gimp.
xsane and xscanimage are installed as plugins by symbolic links from
the programs in /usr/bin  to /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/

# ls -l /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/xs*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 22 avr 13:31 /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/xsane
-> /usr/bin/xsane
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 14 nov  2009
/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/xscanimage -> ../../../../bin/xscanimage

But the sub-menus relative to xscanimage are "grayed" and inactive.
I've tried to delete the link to xsane, mais that doens't solve
the issue.

You can see a screenshot at

http://www.k1ka.be/pics/scanner/xscanimage_in_gimp.png

$ xscanimage --version