[sane-devel] HP scanjet 2300c, xsane, xscanimage, somme comparisons

Gauthier Vandemoortele gauthier.v at skynet.be
Sun Apr 22 11:53:18 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've done some tests with my scanner (Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2300c)
and xsane or xscanimage.

I found xsane more user-friendly, but now I note that with some
images, results from xsane are not usable, while xscanimage can
handle such tricky cases.

Particularly, I can'nt get soft-toned images at 1200 dpi with xsane:
all that i get is a sharp black and white-only image.

In case it can be interesting for developpers, I've uploaded some
image at

http://www.k1ka.be/pics/scanner/

example_xscanimage_300dpi.pnm   with default gamma
example_xscanimage_600dpi.pnm   idem
example_xscanimage_600dpi_b.pnm with custom gamma, better
example_xscanimage_1200dpi.pnm  with default gamma
example_xscanimage_1200dpi_b.pnm with custom gamma

I was surprised that a correct gamma at 300dpi becomes too dark at 600
and more, and it was necessary to lighten the loud keys.

example_xsane_1200dpi.pnm  (all with same setting, see gamma_xsane.png)
example_xsane_300dpi.pnm
example_xsane_600dpi.pnm

--
Gauthier