[sane-devel] scanimage: sane_start: Operation not supported

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Apr 22 23:13:06 UTC 2012

Tethys <sta551 at astradyne.co.uk> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen writes:
>
>>Have you tried the epkowa backend?  It's included with Image Scan! for
>>Linux, available from:
>>
>>  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX
>>
>>Or the epson2 backend, which comes part of sane-backends.  Disable the
>>epson backend and enable the epson2 backend in your dll.conf.
>
> There doesn't appear to be an epson2 backend with my SANE (CentOS 5,
> SANE 1.0.18), but the epkowa backend worked.

You can't really expect SANE to be prescient ;-)

The Epson Stylus Office BX300F was launched somewhere in the second half
of 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

SANE 1.0.18 was released on 2006-07-02.  The latest stable sane-backends
release is 1.0.22, released on 2011-02-13.  The epson2 backend was added
in 1.0.19, released on 2008-02-10.

FWIW, CentOS 5.8 and 6.2 are available which may carry newer versions of
SANE.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962