[sane-devel] Canon DR-9050C

Philip Gwyn philipgwyn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:30:38 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have a Canon DR-9050C scanner.  The canon_dr driver recognises it, but
can't access it.  I see some activity in December about this, but nothing
seems to have been resolved and I see no related patches in GIT.

I also have a binary driver from Canon that my supplier found.  This is a
packatge called cndrvsane-dr9050c-1.00-0.  It has source code for the USB
interface (a SUID root program that is forked off and talks to the USB
device) and for sanei client that talks to a binary blob that does the real
work.  This driver is confusingly called canondr without the underscore.

This works except that it can't wake the scanner from suspend mode.  The
scanner has to be power cycled.

I would very much like to get canon_dr driver working for the DR-9050C.  I
am a computer programer with experience with C (amoungst others).  I don't
have much experience with low-level USB nor scanner protocols, however.  If
someone could point me towards an intro to either, it would be nice.

I intend to do a USB capture of what canon_dr and canondr are doing and
compare the 2.  I assume something like wireshark will do the trick.

My environment is CentOS 5, sane-backends 1.0.22.

I also have Window 7 on another computer that could be used to capture the
USB activity of the TWAIN driver.  I know little about Windows though and
next to nothing about Windows developement.

Any help apreciated,

-Philip