[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner

Tom Hunter tom at twohunters.com
Sun Aug 19 19:58:38 UTC 2012

Hi ...

I am trying to get my scanner back operational on Ubuntu.  I had to move
it back to an XP system to continue using it after an upgrade. The
upgrade was from 10.04 (it may have been 10.10) to 11.xx and later (yes
its been a while, I have posted on the Ubuntu list on this with some
response but no success).  The scanner is a flatbed identified on the
label as an Epson Perfection 1650 Photo Scanner Model G850A.  Neither
XSANE or Simple Scan will operate it.  Both give a similar error ...
Simple Scan accesses the scanner, moves the scan bar, gives no image,
and stops.  You can do this any number of times.  Xsane (0.998) opening
screen identifies the scanner as an Epson GT-8200 and provides this
info  [epson2:libusb:005:002]. When doing acquire preview runs the scan
bar across the glass, produces no image, and puts up an information
dialog box saying "Operation was cancelled" with a close button.

What I am hoping is that someone will send a link or few on how to
trouble shoot this problem. I am willing to test or try just about
anything.  Alternatively can someone recommend a well supported scanner
that works with GIMP, LibreOffice, etc. that doesn't break the bank?

TIA ... TomH