[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 4850 Development

Daniël Sonck dsonck92 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:39:57 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I recently got an HP Scanjet scanner from my parents as I sometimes need
to copy or scan images as a student. I have seen
that the genesys backend has experimental support for this scanner as it
is based on the same chip. I have tried the latest
snapshot and I am pleased to see that it actually sees the scanner and
does something with it. Although the statement that
it works with 2400 - 300 dpi is not entirely true. When I scan an image,
the top left part gets scanned perfectly but the rest
is black with stripes through it. You can actually see some of the image
but it is not suited for copying. Well, it is better than
nothing but here is the thing. As this scanner is pretty useless if I
have to switch between Win 7 and OpenSUSE every time
I want to scan something, I want to help you with the development of
this driver.

Well, I know nothing about scanner driver programming but I do know C++
so I understand the code of the driver. I am not
willing to donate my scanner as it does work with Win 7 and if it is
absolutely necessary I will switch to Win 7 to scan. But I
am willing to do whatever you suggest to try to solve it. You could send
me code changes to see if these would work or explain what
I must modify to correct errors.

Anyway, it is nice that there is some support for this scanner because I
am not willing to buy a specific scanner if I already
have a scanner.

You can see the picture at http://dss.nl.eu.org/pictures/out.png. As far
as I know, the scanner is fine. I just scanned the interior of the
scanner, no sheet. There is a special negatives holder that always shows
up, it makes a nice test scan as it is not confidential.

Kind regards,

Daniël Sonck

--
Groeten,