[sane-devel] problem scanning slides with EPSON 3200 photo

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Feb 13 23:53:38 UTC 2012

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> writes:

> Colin Williams <colin at seattlesoft.com> writes:
>
>> I saw a similarly titled message on this list for another EPSON
>> scanner model, placed on this list 7 years ago. I tried setting the
>> brightness and contrast to what I thought were stated for the other
>> model, but was unsure of the gamma level to use for those settings. I
>> tried 1.00 . I'm having trouble with my slides appearing bright enough
>> when I scan them. I'm scanning them at 3200 DPI. I've tried using both
>> the epson2 and the epkowa driver. I think maybe it's just a problem
>> with my settings. Can somebody provide me with gamma, brightness, and
>> contrast settings? Any other hints on what I should do to get a nice
>> looking scan of a slide?
>
> Have you tried the auto-exposure functionality of Image Scan! for Linux?

As in, preview and zoom in on the slide you want to scan, select the
slide area of interest and click the auto-expose button.  Only the
selected area will be used to compute scan settings, so depending on the
selection values will change.  The preview is updated with these values
so you get an idea of how the scan result will look before scanning.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962