[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 5370c scanner. Reports "no devices available."

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 18 09:35:34 UTC 2012

    I'm having an unexpected problem with xsane in two new installs of
    Fedora-16/64 bit.

    I have not had much luck with suggestions from the Fedora list so
    will repeat some of that material here.

    I'm not sure if it's a matter of the right driver not being
    available or if the old scanner has chosen this time to fail.

        This is a new install F-16/64 recently updated. Xsane is unable to
            detect the HP Scanjet 5370c scanner. Reports "no devices
        available."

            It appears to be detected as a USB device:

                [bobg at box6 ~]$ lsusb
                Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0
        root hub
                Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1
        root hub
                Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1
        root hub
                Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1
        root hub
                Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1
        root hub
                Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble
        Mouse
                (4-button)
                Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:0701 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet
        5300c/5370c

            I do not usually have trouble getting this scanner working,
        normally
            just yum install xsane and it's ready to go. Not so today
        however
            and of course I needed it working half an hour ago!

            Need help troubleshooting.

            I've installed all I can find under xsane and scanner
        drivers in
            yumex and still get "no device available" on both F-16/64
        computers.
            I installed xsane on the second computer just to be sure
        it's not
            peculiar to this one.

            And I tried running as root as suggested, it produces a
            warning not to, doing it anyway yields the same result, no
            device available

            I suppose the scanner could have failed but it was working
            recently with F-15.

            Am I the only one unable to run an HP scanner on Fedora-16? My
            installs are from a live USB/xfce version but I have been
        doing it
            that way for some time without any problems.

    I guess what I need to know is what driver is required for the
    HP-5370 scanner and if it is available in Fedora-16 and how to
    troubleshoot the problem. In recent years xsane has always just
    worked and I have given it little thought which I guess is a sort of
    compliment to the developers.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Bob