[sane-devel] Scanner Database

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 21 10:38:23 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Feb 17 09:51 Michael Nagel wrote (excerpt):
> This is not about replacing the list of supported devices available at:
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
> primarily for the following two reasons:
>
> 1) It's about making it easy for as many people as possible to submit data.
> 2) It is about measuring the real-world, end-user experience,
> not about "what should theoretically work".
> Unfortunately at least for Simple Scan on Ubuntu
> we regularly see regressions with scanners that "should work" and *have worked*.
>
> As a basis for discussion I created the following mockup:
> http://nailor.devzero.de/tmp/scandb/loop/hardware.htm
> ... tell me what you think about it as a
> packager for a distribution, debugger, supporter

Nowadays scanners are more and more used as built-in components
of an all-in-one printer-scanner-copier-whatever device.

>From the end-users point of view it is all about one single device.

Therefore I suggest to get in touch with the OpenPrinting workgroup
of the Linux Foundation at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting

For printers the OpenPrinting workgroup provides "since ever" a database
together with a full ecosystem so that end-users can contribute.
The OpenPrinting database is already well known as THE database
so that from my point of view it would be the logical step forward
when THE printer database could move forward into THE printer and
scanner database - in particular for end-users.

In the past various individual attempts with sepatated databases died out.

If you like to make a new scanner database, I think it is better
to work together with the OpenPrinting workgroup and enhance
the existing database.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner