[sane-devel] xsane source repositories

Ruediger Meier sweet_f_a at gmx.de
Sat Feb 25 23:12:04 UTC 2012

On Saturday 25 February 2012, Michael Nagel wrote:
> Hi Ruediger,
>
> >> I am looking for an official, public repository of the xsane
> >> source code. Is there such a thing, and if yes, where is it?
> >
> > Don't think there is one - just tar balls.
>
> In my personal opinion it's no longer up to current
> development/publication standards to only release tarballs nowadays
> for open source projects. Therefore I'd be interested to see your
> repository on github (or a similarly public place).

It's already there
https://github.com/rudimeier/xsane

I guess I've omitted some stupid (unintended disributed) files like *.o,
*~ etc. Don't remember exactly because it's a month ago.
In doubt you may diff at least the last commit against the original tar
ball.

> An officially
> blessed/advertised repository would be even better, of course. And
> the best thing (in my opinion) would be to really do the development
> using a distributed version control system.

xsane looks a bit dead anyway. Last release is more than 3 years ago.
I'd planned to fix some issues I have and ask Oliver Rauch what's going
on with xsane but actually I haven't done it yet.

> Of course I cannot demand a official git repository, and if tarballs
> work better for the developers so be it, but I really only see
> advantages with distributed version control vs. tarballs. I'd be
> interested to learn any reasons speaking against version control. If
> there are no counter-arguments, I think it would be a great idea to
> start mirroring the tarballs in a git repo and work towards making
> that repository official...

cu,
Rudi