[sane-devel] Newbie questions

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:58:21 UTC 2012

Talking generally of unwritten backends, it's
quite a shame, that the development cycle isn't
"broken down" to some essential phases based on
what hardware is used in the scanner, and much
better documented. And yes, I've read
backend-writing.txt, and everything in the doc/
section, and sifted the list.

At least that's how it looks to me after messing
for a while with backend for GL841-based
OpticPro ST28 (which, I understand, has many
analogues w/r to its hardware composition --
processor, motor controller, and ADC plus
optical input piece).

E.g., how many "protocols" would be there for
the GL841 based apparatus? Why do I need to mess
with USB sniffing? There are only so much
registers in the controller, and those need to
be programmed by the similar pattern. The only
significant differences would concern the
external memory size and geometry of the scanner
bed, or would they? I would need to know the
principal routines in the already existing code,
which relate to the principal functions of the
chip, as per datasheet.

Now, the motor controller isn't controlled
directly, at least in the modern pieces of
hardware, and needs only to be taken into
account w/r to the type of control required
(number of coils etc.).

Programming of the optical input+ADC is also
sort of indirect. Of course, this sort of data
input by its complexity constitutes a class in
itself (CCDs!), but that's what sanei/ section
of code is for, I believe.

IF I were sufficiently proficient, I'd put into
the SANE distribution the following for the
"starters-ups": step-by-step procedures and code
templates for 1) constructing the code starting
up and shutting down the scanner; 2) same for
switching the lamp on and off; 3) same for
moving the caret up and down, for all speeds
allowed by the controller. Such templates would
rely on the documented routines in the
"low-level" code. And so on, as I'm sure I'm
missing a lot of things here.

Yury

P.S.
On 07/25/2012 02:46 AM, Clyde Shappee wrote:
> It sounds to me like a backend is an awful lot
> of work.  My scanner is a real orphan -- perhaps
> that is why it sold for $19.

Clyde, if that's one of those transparent jobs,
looking sort of like a TFT panel without a
backlight unit, I'd assume for starters it has a
microprocessor as a principal controller and a
really primitive set of commands, meaning it
*might* be deciphered fairly easily, by using a
USB sniffing technique as advised in this list.