[sane-devel] SANE and Commercial Applications/Drivers

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Jun 3 23:08:47 UTC 2012

stef <stef.dev at free.fr> writes:

> Le 01/06/2012 15:02, Ganapati Hegde a écrit :
>>
>> I am searching for more information how vendor can hide source code
>> in SANE if  protocol information should not be disclosed through
>> source code. It would be of  great help if I got extra information
>> on this.
>
>     there is no place where to hide code in SANE. It is an open source
> project. If you don't want to disclose information, you'll have to
> keep the sources for you and deliver a binary only backend that uses
> the SANE API. You may have a look at the epkowa backend for instance.

Just to clear up, the epkowa backend is open source.  It is just that it
allows use of closed source *extensions*.  For some devices an extension
is needed in order to get that device to work.  For some devices another
extension is needed to enable network support.  However, for a large lot
of devices, the backend works fine without any of these extensions.

Hope this clarifies,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962