[sane-devel] Canon DR2020U

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Thu Mar 15 12:45:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Benjamin Baker
<benjamin at wimmerahills.com.au> wrote:
> Unfortunately I have misread the supported scanners lists and purchased an
> unsupported device.
>
> It is a Canon DR2020U.
>
> I run Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid).
>
> I would be very happy indeed to hear that somebody is working on the
> canon_dr backend to support this device.  Otherwise I'll just have to bribe
> somebody - or do it myself.

I tried the do it myself path with one of these machines and it was a
lot better to hire an expert here. Some parts of Sane are easy but
when you get down to the motor control, sensors, etc. you need to have
the experience to quickly recognize these patterns or you're gonna
spend _a lot_ of time and trial and error and the risk of ruining your
machine. These ADF devices are a lot more complex than your average
flatbed....

The main problem will be the access to the machine for the person
helping you develop this, and you will probably have to help and give
remote access to your machine, etc. You may need a Windows machine and
the original drivers so you can capture some examples of traffic
between the pc and the device to get the work started.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass