[sane-devel] CanonScan 2700 Segmentation Failure. Fixed

Gautier Andreotti gautier.andreotti at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:48:40 UTC 2012

Hi, this may help
I have a Canoscan 2700F (also detected as Canon IX2715C), running Ubuntu
11.04 (natty) on an Athlon 64 Bits. The scanner is attached to an Adaptec
AHA-2920C (14th years old but still green), I also tried with an Advansys
ABP 9030/40. I got the infamous "Segmentation Failure" message when trying
to run Xsane or others. After many hours checking everything and more to
fix the issue, I found a dead stupid "fix". It is just about how you start
(power on) the scanner and the scanning application. So this is my
procedure:

   1. Power on the scanner
   2. Power on the PC. Don't worry if the SCSI bios tell you that the
   device is not ready. The SCSI adapter is expecting a much faster device as
   a disk not a scanner that takes about 35 seconds to identify itself.
   Nevertheless on the Advansys adapter I had to increase the device detection
   time-out (to 35 seconds) in the adapter bios. I guess you also have to
   switch on the support for removable storage device (normally "on" by
   default, but check)
   3. Now is the silly trick. *Remove the film tray from the scanner*.
   Switch off the scanner, and switch it back on.
   4. Start xsane. Ttry a second time if it is still not starting.

As far I understand it is because when you power-on the scanner it
automatically starts a calibration routine, that failed if the film tray is
inserted. As a general rule remember these are slow devices compared to a
disk, so be patient and if something is wrong think about anything related
to a "time out" trigger (this is why you may have to start xsane a second
time).

Hope this helps.

(forget about Windows XP or 7, it is very unstable with XP and I can't find
the drivers for Windows 7)

--
Gautier