[sane-devel] SANE in LSB 5.0

Petrie, Glen glen.petrie at eitc.epson.com
Mon Mar 19 15:48:30 UTC 2012

Allan,

You are correct about sanei; the list below is only meant to shows that the sanei header files are required by the dll.c modules.   I will check again, but I believe this is to project the abstraction layer to a vendor's specific implementation.

The backend/net.c is actually discussed in the general sane 1.05 documentation.   I was a bit confused why it was included.   From the intro page of the documentation it states

		"Chapter 5 specifies the network protocol that can be used to
		 implement the SANE API in a network transparent fashion."

Thus, I assumed net.c was again abstraction level to actual vendor specific implementation and/or needed by the calling application to provide non-sane communication functionality.   Maybe for federated sane communication??

Since the net.c was considered important enough to add to the general API guide by the original developers of the documentation; I assumed it should also be added to the LSB.  The routines are vendor agnostic; so it should be a problem.

However, if it is not really needed or should just not be part of the LSB, I will not include it.

glen