[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V200 Photo - scans White as Blue

2cv67 2cv67 at free.fr
Fri May 11 20:13:22 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 01:43, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> You may get improved results with Image Scan! for Linux when selecting
> Color Document (or B/W Document) for the Image Type.
>
> This white correction is not done by the device.  It is all done in a
> non-free software component used by the iscan frontend.  The Image Type
> setting influences this image processing, but may still not be able to
> arrive at the desired result.  Your only option remaining (within the
> scope of iscan) is fiddling with the Tone Correction settings.
>
> # That non-free software component has not been updated for ages.  The
> # Windows driver however has seen additions and improvements in that
> # area, hence the whiter backgrounds.
>
> Hope this clarifies,
Thanks for the explanation, Olaf.

As you say, when using Image Scan! for Linux, then 'Document' setting
does produce a slightly lighter 'white' than the 'Photo' setting, but
not very significantly, and not enough.

What I do now with iscan, without bothering to check carefully, is to
always make the same Tone correction, actually in the black rather than
colour tabs & this gives a 'near enough' result for general use - see link:
http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz309/2CV67/?action=view&current=correction.png

If iscan would just remember my settings, that would be the end of the
story, at least for iscan...

I assume from your explanation that nothing is going to make this white
correction automatically for me, in any app, but is there nowhere in the
whole chain of events I can make a once & for all manual adjustment?

Thanks for your patience ( as well as expertise, of course)!

2CV67