[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 3690 not recognized

Michael N. Steen mich at mirfak.dk
Mon May 14 00:47:22 UTC 2012

Hi

When I connect the scanner and turn it on, I get the following response:

$ dmesg | tail -6

usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=1405
usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=12
usb 4-1: Product: HP Scanjet Scanner
usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
usb 4-1: SerialNumber: CN38DS24YS

$ scanimage -L

$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x1405, chip=GL646_HP?) at
libusb:004:007
[...]

I was under the impression that HP 3690 should be working with Sane, so
I wonder if I'm missing something.

System references:

$ rpm -qa | grep sane
sane-backends-iscan-1.0.22-1.mga1
libsane1-1.0.22-1.mga1
libsane-hpaio1-3.11.7-1.2.mga1
libksane0-4.6.5-0.mga1
sane-backends-1.0.22-1.mga1
xsane-0.998-1.mga1

$ uname -a
Linux corax 2.6.38.8-desktop586-10.mga #1 SMP Wed Jan 25 10:18:54 UTC
2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards
Michael Steen