[sane-devel] SANE for Epson scanner is not working

Mark Deiss mark_deiss at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 14:52:17 UTC 2012

Hi developers,

I have Ubuntu LTS 12.04.1 LTS / 32 bit and also a Epson Perfection V10 flatbed scanner.
I can't get it working and hope that it is just a matter of configuration. I do all what is needed to avoid
that I have to use a Windows machine just to have the scanner working.
I will post you all information I have and hope you can figure you why it is not working.

Download
driver of http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL2.do

2 packages:

install first: iscan-data_1.13.0-1_all.deb
than: iscan_2.28.1-3.ltdl7_i386.deb

Starting "Image Scan" from the gui shows a window with: "Could not send command to scanner".

On command line> lsusb
shows:  Bus
001 Device 007: ID 04b8:012d Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection V10/V100
(GT-S600/F650)
location of bus is: /dev/bus/usb/001

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf has line "epson2" active
/etc/sane.d/epson2.conf

enabled line: usb 0x04b8 0x012d

On command line> Scanimage -L
is hanging. No response at all. Time out after ca. 1 minute.

After pulling the USB cable or time out the response is:
device `epkowa:usb:001:004' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner

under root the same.

Add line "epkowa" to file dll.conf before the line "epson2".
In epkowa.conf line "usb" is enabled and "usb 0x04b8 0x012d"

So far no change. Scanimage is hanging and timeout with an "unknow model".

Too bad. This is not working....
Cost me some swearing.

Please help. What can I do.

Bye, Mark