[sane-devel] Epson iscan release notes?

2cv67 2cv67 at free.fr
Tue Nov 20 11:21:52 UTC 2012

On 20/11/12 00:38, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> What is it you'd like to know about the Epson iscan release notes?

Sorry again for the HTML/plain-text mix-up.

Just for the record, here are copies of my original request & the good
answer I received:
:::::::::::::::::::::

Request:
I notice from a recent reply by Olaf Meeuwissen on another thread
(thanks Olaf for your frequent help!) that Epson drivers should no
longer be downloaded from avasys.jp but from
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/ (which I would never
have found unaided & still can't find starting from epson.com...).
Thanks for that!

 From that site, I notice that the version of iscan I am using,
downloaded January 2012 is now slightly out of date (2.28.1 vs 2.29.1).
Simple logic would imply updating.
Experience suggests avoiding tampering with an iscan that works!

So I would be interested to know what is different between versions, to
see if there is anything that makes it worth risking a change.
If the changes are just support for extra models, I would not change yet.
Often, download sites provide "release notes" which detail changes per
release.
I have not been able to find any for iscan.

Do they exist?

Thanks!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Reply:
Hi,

Am 19.11.2012 11:49, schrieb 2cv67:
 > So I would be interested to know what is different between versions, to
 > see if there is anything that makes it worth risking a change.
 > If the changes are just support for extra models, I would not change yet.
 > Often, download sites provide "release notes" which detail changes per
 > release.
 > I have not been able to find any for iscan.
 >
 > Do they exist?

There are imho some informaion included in the packages itself, in
/usr/share/doc/iscan ... you could just download the packages, and
extract teh file without actually installing the sw package, e.g.

  dpkg -x iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb a_temp_dir/

NEWS tells, quote:

NEWS -- an overview of user-visible changes with each release

iscan-2.29.1                                              (2012-06-07)
  * update the scanner command handling for the LP-M5300

iscan-2.29.0                                              (2012-03-05)
  * not publicly released
  * changed contact information following change of distribution channel
  * added build-time support for libusb-1.0
  * updated the sanei_*.[ch] files to sane-backends-1.0.22

Cheers, Tobias
::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My response:
On 19/11/12 14:32, Tobias Stoeber wrote:
 > There are imho some informaion included in the packages itself, in
/usr/share/doc/iscan ... you could just download the packages, and
extract teh file without actually installing the sw package
Thanks, Tobias!

That worked just as you said.
I was able to confirm the information you included, which shows no need
to update yet.
And I will be able to do it myself in future!

Thanks again!

So - question solved for me.

It would be handy if the release notes were on the Epson site, though.