[sane-devel] Cannot scan over an open local network

Joel Webster j.n.webster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:43:02 UTC 2012

First of all, thank you for all of your hard work getting SANE to be...sane.
I recently acquired an HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series, which is one of their
all-in-one printer/scanner combo machines.
I would like to be able to use the device over my home network, where the
device is connected to our file/print server. I can print to it everywhere
(from windows & linux machines alike) with no problems, but I cannot scan
from anywhere but from the server itself. It works flawlessly from the
server, but I cannot even see the machine over the network.
I have followed the advice on the
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/sane.d%20tutorial page and have worked
through all of the troubleshooting steps three times to make sure I didn't
miss anything.
I can't even scan through localhost on the server it's connected to. All
firewalls are disabled across all machines on the internal network.
The file/print server is running Ubuntu 12.04.
Are there any further steps I can take to figure this out?