[sane-devel] Cannot scan over an open local network

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Nov 27 23:17:20 UTC 2012

Alejandro Imass writes:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Joel Webster <j.n.webster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you mean that when I'm logging in to my client I need to have access
>> privileges?
>
> The client needs scanner access access AFAIK
>
>> Or do you mean that once I have everything configured I need to log in to my
>> server at least once with such a user?
>
> Yes. At least once after booting your server and the user needs to
> __remain logged on___ but can lock it's screen. I've never tried on
> scanner servers w/o a Desktop Env since most scanner servers are also
> work stations.
>
> We are currently using Ubuntu 10.x with Gnome so it may only be
> related to this environment.

You may want to check the groups that the saned is part of.  See my
initial reply[1] to this thread.  The fact that you need to remain
logged in indicates that policykit is providing you with access to the
device.  If saned is in the appropriate groups that should not be
necessary.

 [1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2012-November/030564.html

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962