[sane-devel] (bugreport) sane-backends-1.0.23 compilation QAnotice

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Nov 29 23:29:43 UTC 2012

m. allan noah writes:

> In this case, you over wrote our custom changes to ltmain.sh. Instead
> of autoreconf, you probably should just run automake, but only if a
> Makefile.am changes.

You may want to read through "Rebuilding Makefiles"[1]

 [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Rebuilding.html#Rebuilding

and encourage developers to `./configure --enable-maintainer-mode` so
that all they need to do is run `make` to update Makefile.in (and other
build system related bits).  Contrary to the comment in configure.in,
this will *not* run autoreconf.  It uses file specific rules and only
updates those files that really need updating.

Alternatively, you could drop AM_MAINTAINER_MODE from configure.in so it
is enabled by default _and_ drop all generated build system files from
version control.  Developers would have to run autoreconf on a clean git
clone to get started then.

With respect to the custom changes to ltmain.sh, I have been using a
bootstrap script that basically runs autoreconf and  applies a patch
to ltmain.sh for Image Scan! for Linux for years.  Like so

  autoreconf --install "$@"
  patch -p0 < ltmain.sh.diff

with ltmain.sh.diff under version control.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962