[sane-devel] Fwd: canon lide 110 - buttons - don't working :/

Tobias Stoeber tobi at to-st.de
Fri Nov 30 01:27:50 UTC 2012

Hi Roberto,

Am 29.11.2012 19:44, schrieb Roberto Spadim:
> i tryed some 'solutions' to use buttons on canon lide110 but no one worked
> i searched about sane-genesys and buttond but i couldn't make it work
>
> can anyone help me allowing this device to accept buttons and send me
> information when should i start scanimage? maybe we need to add some
> code but it's not a problem

Well, I am using a Canon LiDE 200 scanner. Should work similar to your
LiDE 110 ... Using it under Ubuntu 10.04 (well, yes it's old ;-) with
scanbuttond 0.2.3.

Recompiled the stock Ubuntu scanbuttond package with some changes to
backends/genesys.c to include the LiDE 200's usb id.

~~~ code coe changes ~~~
#define NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES 3

static int supported_usb_devices[NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES][3] = {
         // vendor, product, num_buttons
         { 0x04a9, 0x221c, 15 }, // CanoScan LiDE 60 (15 includes
combined buttons - only 4 real buttons)
         { 0x04a9, 0x1905, 15 }, // CanoScan LiDE 200 (15 includes
combined buttons - only 4 real buttons)
         { 0x04a9, 0x2213, 15 }  // CanoScan LiDE 35 (15 includes
combined buttons - only 4 real buttons)
};

static char* usb_device_descriptions[NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES][2] = {
         { "Canon", "CanoScan LiDE 60" },
         { "Canon", "CanoScan LiDE 200" },
         { "Canon", "CanoScan LiDE 35" }
};
~~~ code changes ~~~

So you have to change NUM_SUPPORTED_USB_DEVICES, and add lines for your
scanner (name and usb id) to backends/genesys.c

> for who don't know the device it's a canoscan lide 110 (sane-genesys)
> it have four buttons
> PDF, AUTO SCAN, COPY, EMAIL

Well recognizes all four buttons. What you do with it then, depends on
the actions you start from /etc/scanbuttond/buttonpressed.sh

I've build my own solution from various sources and tried some things
out. As there are only some examples, that come with the scanbuttond
package.

My "setup" is as follows:

  - COPY scans a greyscale image and sents it to the default printer
with lpr.

  - SCAN just generates a jpeg file and places it in /tmp/scanned and
display a little message with 'zenity' ;)

  - PDF scans and generates a pdf file in /tmp/scanned, and opens the
file with evince.

  - EMAIL button generates a jpeg file and opens a new email with
thunderbird, jpeg attached.

One of my sources has been e.g.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Scanner_buttons_and_one-touch_scanning

The basic idea of the /etc/scanbuttond/buttonpressed.sh script and using
some single scripts for each action etc. is derived from there.

In fact you can use "combined" buttons, i.e. pressing SCAN and PDF
together generates a "button 5" event etc. I'm using that for some more
scripts, that e.g. open the jpeg file with GIMP for editing.

If you like, I can try to put thes pieces together with some sort of
documentation. But just getting the "button pressed" events with
scanbuttond is the easier part and quickly done ;-)

Regards, Tobias