[sane-devel] Canon imageCLASS MF4450 (running as MF4410)

Dylan McGuire dylan.l.mcguire at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:51:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Dylan McGuire <dylan.l.mcguire at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Canon imageCLASS MF4450 - it is detecting as MF4410 (which has a
>> backend, see
>> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2012-February/029573.html)
>> but any attempt to start a scan fails with EBUSY. I am using the latest
>> backend installed on Ubuntu 10.04. I tremendously appreciate the work done
>> on the SANE project - if I can help contribute another device, I would be
>> happy to.
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> 1) could you install SANE from git and try this (latest backend means
> 1.0.23 I suppose).
>
> 2) could you access a WinXP PC and do USB sniffing from there? That
> would show what commands are needed for this device. If new commands
> are required, no amount of SANE debugging will help.
>
> Regards,
> Gernot Hassenpflug

Hello,

I have installed SANE from git and I think I have the latest
development version (1.0.24). The scanimage command gives

$ scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.24

I have inserted a few debug printfs in the backend (e.g.
pixma_imageclass and pixma_common) to trace the problem. Basically, it
seems to run the initialization step,
- query status (OK)
- activate (0)
- activate (4) -- I don't know what the arguments mean
and those steps complete successfully (status is OK). The next command
issues appears to be "start_session" which results in "busy" returned
status.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a WinXP computer (or the
scanner, actually -- it is located at my parents' house). If the only
option here is a USB trace, then it will have to wait a while...

Cheers,

Dylan