[sane-devel] sane-backends 1.0.23 in ubuntu 12.10

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Oct 8 23:50:55 UTC 2012

Paul Newall writes:

> version 1.0.23 is in ubuntu 12.10
> But the network scanner auto detection in kodakaio (which uses cups) does
> not work.
> It seems likely that when the backends were compiled cups.h was not
> detected, so the autodetection was excluded from kodakaio.
>
> Does anyone have ideas about this?
> What's the best way to approach ubuntu to discuss it?

Submit a bug report against the sane-backends package on Launchpad[1].
The debian/control file should include a Build-Depends on libcups-dev.

 [1] https://launchpad.net/sane-backends

That said, the Debian package doesn't seem to include that dependency
either.

> Should I be checking for the presence of cups at run time, rather than at
> compile time? - there are many other checks for the presence of libraries in
> configure, is that a general problem when distros build executables: where
> the libraries used depend on the set up of the "machine" that does the
> compiling, and not on the set up of the user's machine.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962