[sane-devel] Canon Mx 700 - Scanbuttons

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Sat Oct 27 14:54:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 07:58 +0200, Wilhelm wrote:

> >> Hey Louis,
> >> very good job. My scanner works now by using the buttons.
> >>
> >> --
> > Hey Louis,
> > by using sane-backend(last git) with comandline, my scanner works with the buttons. E.g. scanimage buttoncontrolled=yes ....
> >

> > But scanbd can't read the buttonstatus. It's a bug or not implemented? All the options are available, but scanbd shows no action by using the buttons.
>
> just to clearify: scanbd can read the buttons (e.g. a button-option with
> name "button-1") but the value of this particular option never changes
> when the user presses a button. A quick look in to the pixma
> backend-sources suggests that querying the button values isn't supported
> ... ?

I finally found some time to dig into the backend to see what it does
and how to use it (too many other things to do and been ill for a
while). I now understand how things work.

The button-1 and button-2 options are set when sane_control_option() is
called for option button_update with action SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE.
SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE button_update is used to poll the scanner and set
button-1 and button-2. But scanbd does not support
SANE_ACTION_SET_VALUE.

My patch from a week ago was not correct as it ignores how the buttons
are supposed to be used. I am looking into the best way to solve this.

I need to check, but I seem to recall that there is an indication in the
USB protocol that indicates what option (save, pdf, attach to email etc)
was chosen. If this is true, I may try to add an option for that as
well.

Kind regards, Louis