[sane-devel] scanner not found

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 2 14:24:30 UTC 2013

Hello Olaf,

On Mar 26 07:57 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Albrecht Mehl writes:
>
>> I want to use the scanner
>>
>>    epson perfection v 330 photo
>>
>> within opensuse linux 12.2.
>> In yast2, hardware, scanner, configuration the scanner is listed as not
>> configured. Modify opens a long driver's list. For my scanner - see
>> above - there is but one driver, but one is cautioned not to use it.
>
> As Yuri mentioned in another post already, this scanner is supported by
> iscan + non-free plugin.  Packages are available via:
>
>  http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX
>
> The reason that yast2 cautions about it use is most likely because the
> plugin is non-free so you cannot help yourself or have others help you
> when you have a problem with it.

FYI
this is the text that the YaST scanner module currently shows:
The third-party Image Scan driver software from Epson/Avasys
is required. The Image Scan driver software is made and provided
by Epson (formerly Avasys)
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LXEpson
(formerly Avasys http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/)
where RPM packages for 32-bit (i386) and 64-bit (x86_64) architecture
can be downloaded (if you accept the Epson/Avasys license agreements).
The Image Scan driver contains proprietary binary-only software.
For some models it is only available for 32-bit (i386) architecture
which does not work when you have a 64-bit system installation.
Some scanners are also supported by another (free-software) driver.
When your scanner model requires a DFSG non-free (proprietary) module,
you have to download and install two packages from Epson/Avasys:
The 'iscan' package for the base software and an additional
model dependant 'iscan-plugin' package with the proprietary module.

I notice that the URL in the YaST text is not correct
(it works but the OS is not preselected to be "Linux").

When I update this text, I may remove the "formerly Avasys" parts.

Are there other errors or inappropriate wording that should be fixed?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner