[sane-devel] can't build usb support

Donald Harter harterc2 at att.net
Thu Apr 11 22:59:41 UTC 2013

checking usb.h usability... yes
checking usb.h presence... yes
checking for usb.h... yes
checking for usb_interrupt_read in -lusb... no
checking lusb0_usb.h usability... no
checking lusb0_usb.h presence... no
checking for lusb0_usb.h... no

 > The following preload backends will be built:

*** Warning: sane-backends will be built without libusb support. There may
*** be valid reasons to do so, e.g. if you don't use USB scanners or on
*** platforms without libusb support but generally this means that you
*** can't use USB devices with SANE. The most probable cause is that
*** libusb is not installed at all or is too old.

I am using suse 12.2 and have these installed.
rpm -qa | grep libusb
libusbredirparser0-0.4.3-2.1.2.x86_64
libusb-1_0-0-32bit-1.0.9-3.1.2.x86_64
libusb-devel-0.1.12-141.1.x86_64
libusb-1_0-0-1.0.9-6.1.x86_64
libusbmuxd1-1.0.7-3.5.1.x86_64
libusb-0_1-4-0.1.12-141.1.x86_64
libusbpp-0_1-4-0.1.12-141.1.x86_64
libusb-1_0-devel-1.0.9-6.1.x86_64
libusb-1_0-devel-32bit-1.0.9-3.1.2.x86_64
libusbmuxd2-1.0.8-2.1.2.x86_64
libusbredirhost1-0.4.3-2.1.2.x86_64

So what version of libusb do I need to get backend to compile?
I am building the package, because I have been using xsane and any pdf
files or pnm files display OK in the viewer but external file viewers
show bad results.(the files are corrupted somehow; 16/8 bit issue?)