[sane-devel] libsane-problem?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Aug 19 01:03:21 UTC 2013

Betreuungsbüro Jenetzky writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am running an office with heavy paperwork on Linux Mint 13 and
> encounter a problem with my two scanners.
>
> Since gscan2pdf does not work properly (the Epson is not recognized
> correctly) I have discussed this with Jeffrey Ratcliffe.
>
> Astonishing is the fact that both scanners (the other is a Brother) run
> perfectly with Xsane.
>
> Jeff proposed to pst the last message here, as he thinks there is a
> libsane problem.
>
> Here is the message:
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [gscan2pdf-help] gscan2pdf does not correctly recognize scanner
> Datum: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:13:55 +0200
> Von: Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jeffrey.ratcliffe at gmail.com>
> An: Betreuungsbüro Jenetzky <bb.jenetzky at gmx.de>
>
> On 6 August 2013 20:42, Betreuungsbüro Jenetzky <bb.jenetzky at gmx.de> wrote:
>  > jockel at tiggr2 ~ $ scanimage -L
>  > device `brother4:net1;dev0' is a Brother *KABELLOS 32
>  > device `epkowa:interpreter:002:004' is a Epson GT-1500 flatbed scanner
>  > jockel at tiggr2 ~ $ scanimage --device=`epkowa:interpreter:002:004'
>  >>
>  >
>  > The cursor just stops blinking after nine times.
>  > That is all.
>  >
>  > jockel at tiggr2 ~ $ scanimage --device=`epkowa:interpreter:002:004' --help
>  >>
>  >
>  > Also no output, the cursor again stops blinking.
>
> Sorry the delay in replying.
>
> This looks to me like a libsane problem, and I don't understand why
> things work with xsane.
>
> Please report the above to the sane mailing list
> (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sane-devel).
>
> Someone with more insight than me might have an idea what is going on.

Let's summarize, you're using Linux Mint 13 and try to use an Epson
GT-1500.  This scanner works fine with XSane.  It does not work fine
with either gscan2pdf or scanimage.

That's weird.  Can you provide debug logs obtained using scanimage?

  $ SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=HEX scanimage --device=epkowa:interpreter:002:004 --help 2> gt-1500.log

# Hmm, I just now notice the mixed quotes in your command invocation.
# I'm assuming that your mail client "prettied" them up.  They are not
# needed and as used should result in a error from your shell anyway.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962