[sane-devel] Canon 9000F with Ubuntu 12.04

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Sat Aug 24 20:42:15 UTC 2013

Hi Al,

Am 23.08.2013 17:47, schrieb Аl Воgnеr:
> Am Fr, 23 Aug 2013 17:17:33 CEST schrieb Аl Воgnеr:
>
>> With a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04 I use
>>
>> sane 1.0.14-9
>> sane-utils 1.0.22-7ubuntu1
>>
>> As user root:
>>
>> ~# /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner
>> found USB scanner (vendor=04a9 [Canon], product=0x1908 [CanoScan])
>> at libusb:008:002
>>
>> ~# /usr/bin/scanimage  -L
>> No scanners were identified.
>>
>> ~# /usr/bin/scanimage  -V
>> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22
>>
>> Should the Canon 9000F be supported by this sane-version or do I have
>> to compile it myself?
> In the meantime I compiled git and there is no change:
>
> usr/local/bin/sane-find-scanner
> found USB scanner (vendor=04a9 [Canon], product=0x1908 [CanoScan]) at
> libusb:008:002
>
> /usr/local/bin/scanimage -V
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.24git; backend version 1.0.22

Here you can see that the old SANE backend version 1.0.22 is used. You
need to register new SANE backend (library) as described in README.linux.

> /usr/local/bin/scanimage -L
> No scanners were identified.
>
> Maybe the old thing, that it suddenly works after hours or days without
> doing anything. I know, that this has been discussed before and I have
> no idea who can change this behaviour, but this should get better.

If you only need the latest git version and you don't want to patch any
code by yourself, you can use my Ubuntu ppa from Launchpad: 'sudo
add-apt-repository ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git'.

Cheers,
Rolf