[sane-devel] A3 flatbed scanners

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Sun Aug 25 21:07:22 UTC 2013

I have been perusing the various offerings in the A3 flatbed scanner niche as
a replacement for my painfully slow Mustek A3 1200Pro, which does not even
scan the entire 12x17 area, making it actually pretty useless for some
things.

I can hardly imagine a more experience crew than here on the topic of what
A3 flatbeds are fast, reliable, give nice sharp images and most importantly
are well supported. I have looked at entries in the db but before I plop
down hard cash I'd like advice from people who have already used them.

I am doing archive scanning for the National Space Society and have lots of
odd sized and sometimes non-bendable things, so I have to use a flatbed for
those items... I am using the marvelous Fujitsu ScanSnap for pretty much
anything bendably letter sized.

I was a bit interested in the Plustek OpticPro A320, but it does not seem to
be supported yet. I'm a bit fed up with Mustek's recent offerings and the
fact they do not support their older ones on 64b linux... I have to run my
Mustek off a 32b virtual machine with an ancient copy of sane because they
do not give you the ability to recompile the driver to run on anything new.
A few years ago I spent a good bit of money on an HP model whose page feeder
never worked right... every time you told it to scan it went through several
pages from the feeder. It became an expensive door stop.