[sane-devel] Canonscan N 650U LIDE Scanner does not scan but makes terrible noise

coxster dillon coxsterdillon at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:29:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

The only thing I can think of, that maybe different between
Sane on Linux and Twain on Windoze is simply perhaps the speed or more
specifically the timing between commands issued.  I do not know the
scanner API in detail enough to be more specific.  If you send the steps
 to the motor rather than say go to position Y, then the timing of those
 steps is probably important.

FWIW, In windoze I can use
SnoopyPro which logs USB messages to scanner with timestamps.  So it
could be measured to some degree.

Most of time when I get noise
from my LIDE30 is when the head moves back for some alignment to the
sensor.  It seems to recover better or rather more often at higher dpi.

 tried to power the scanner from my bench supply with success but only
very slight changes to my scan results.  I did measure the voltage at
the scanner down a 1.8M cable I got off ebay which had 24awg conductors
and it hovered around 4.6V.  I was concerned more about power since I
noticed when connected into a cable powered hub it actually makes the
noise nearly all the time and other times read errors are produced.
Interestingly the specifications for the scanner want a 1.5M cable or
less from canons website which means probably a very short cable since
they seem to come in standard lengths.

I've thought about turning
 the scanner up side down a few times to lift the glass off the head and
 then not push to hard on the white lid when lowing on to paper for a
scan.  The noise seems to be the motor stuck for some reason.  The clamp
 on the back is not engaged.

Regards,

dc
p.s. Sorry if I've double posted, reply all wasn't used!