[sane-devel] problems setting up Umax PowerLook 2100XL again on new system

David N Melik dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Sat Aug 31 22:13:36 UTC 2013

I am a lifelong artist with a BS Computer Science; this is my first
post, so I want to say thanks for making Sane, which has been very
useful to me. I tried posting this to the listserv but received an
error message email that I will put at the bottom.

I am trying to use a SCSI-2 Umax PowerLook 2100XL (which I used before
on Slackware) with Slackware 14's sane-1.0.22-x86_64-5,
xsane-0.998-x86_64-2. I followed the scanner-howto's instruction, but
get the error message below from the howto's command below.

    root at cosmos:~# scanimage -d umax:/dev/scanner --format pnm >
    outfile.pnm scanimage: sane_start: Out of memory
    scanimage: received signal 15
    scanimage: trying to stop scanner

I am certainly not out of memory: I was using 7/64 GB at the time. I
tried sane-troubleshoot (though maybe older than Xsane), which says it
is a problem that the sane library is in two places (also in the X
directories).

David
http://www.cwu.edu/~melikd/

PS. Below is the error message email I received.