[sane-devel] usb connection found, but scanners not identified...

Ilias Miroslav Miroslav.Ilias at umb.sk
Wed Dec 25 10:42:20 UTC 2013

Hi Olaf,

thanks for you hints; here we go:

Now I am with the Epson SX400 scanner/printer. I deativated ppa's of rolf bench's sane-backends, and returned to the default for Ubuntu 13.10 - 1.0.23.

ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.dpkg-query --show libsane
libsane:amd64   1.0.23-0ubuntu3
libsane:i386    1.0.23-0ubuntu3

Strange,  the /etc/sane.d/ directory is empty, there are no conf files. Why ? A reinstalled/repaired the libsane package several times.
ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.ls /etc/sane.d/
dll.d/

The package lists a lot of them:
ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.dpkg-query --listfiles libsane | grep /etc/sane.d
/etc/sane.d/dc240.conf
/etc/sane.d/sp15c.conf
/etc/sane.d/umax_pp.conf
/etc/sane.d/dc210.conf
/etc/sane.d/tamarack.conf
.
.

ilias at miro_ilias_desktop:~/.sudo sane-find-scanner
.
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0cf3 [ATHEROS], product=0x9271 [USB2.0 WLAN]) at libusb:001:002
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error

lsusb gives:  Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

scanimage -L gives not device.

And the printing with Epson SX400 works fine.

Best,

Miro.