[sane-devel] imageCLASS MF4570dw tester available for two days

Yuval Levy ylevy at uwo.ca
Wed Dec 25 14:52:20 UTC 2013

I take inspiration from another thread on this mailing list to complete
the information.

On 12/25/2013 03:38 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Your lists of configuration files below /etc/sane.d/ look suspiciously
> short.

My configuration seemed to be vanilla to me, but then I realize that
there is nothing vanilla in trying to help remote troubleshooting, so to
complete the information:

> [...] and expected canon configuration file (pixma.conf, I think)?

actually there is no pixma.conf file, just four (!) files starting with
canon.  quite confusing, but not critically so as I was able to get around.

>   $ dpkg-query --show libsane

libsane:amd64   1.0.23-0ubuntu3

the stock 'buntu one.  I only built and installed the sane-backends from
git.

>   $ dpkg-query --listfiles libsane | grep /etc/sane.d/

I limited the grep only to the canon configuration files, of which the
one I changed is listed:

/etc/sane.d/canon_dr.conf

I added the following lines (based on the sane-find-scanner output):

# MF4570dw
usb 0x04a9 0x275a

and indeed /etc/sane.d/dll.conf has a default uncommented entry canon_dr.

Could it be that I am experiencing this bug:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/313504>?

I am not convinced, because
(1) scanimage does not even get to the errors during device I/O
(2) even blacklisting usbpl and usb_storage (for testing purposes only,
my father-in-law will kill me if his external USB backup drive stops
working) did not change anything.

And back to the specific situation with the MF4570dw, I am more
interested to get it to work over ethernet/wifi than over USB.

Any ideas?

Yuv