[sane-devel] Handling of bug reports and patches

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Thu Feb 7 21:42:01 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 12:59, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear SANE folks,
>

> yesterday I created several new tickets and attached patches to some of
> them, like [1].
>
>          [#314016] Cppcheck: [backend/hp-device.c:351,430]: (error) Possible null pointer dereference
>
> Looking at the Git history it looks like though that for example the
> last commit was submitted and discussed on this mailing list, sane-devel
> [2].
>
>          commit 883d19145255ca098b89a9c2a5939c69034c98d8
>          Author: Rolf Bensch <roben-guest at alioth.debian.org>
>          Date:   Wed Feb 6 22:16:58 2013 +0100
>
>              fixed button support for Canon Pixma MG6200
>
> So to know what to do and what the current process is to get patches in,
> should I bring the issues up to this list or should I just wait and
> leave them in the Alioth tracker?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>

> [1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314016&group_id=30186&atid=410366
> [2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-February/thread.html

     Hello,

     opening a bug and sending a mail, or sending only a mail are OK for
me. Opening a bug, may not be enough, specially if it is not affected to
anyone, or if it is too broad. The #313848 is a good example, it spans
other several backends, is not affected to anybody and has this
unattractive comment 'there may be some false positives'.
     Since I have more things to do than time to do it, I'd rather not
dig into a big report to see if I have something to fix. And when I (too
rarely) look at the issue tracker, I prefer to look into reports that
have clear description.

Regards,
     Stef