[sane-devel] Infrastructure: Rename sane-devel to sane-discuss

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 8 16:39:42 UTC 2013

Dear Stef,

thank you for your answer.

Am Donnerstag, den 07.02.2013, 22:04 +0100 schrieb Stef:
> On 07/02/2013 12:52, Paul Menzel wrote:

> > I just subscribed to the list and I am sorry to start with that topic
> > which has probably already been discussed.
> >
> > But I was confused to by the -devel suffix and being subscribed to
> > several other FOSS project lists after reading the Web page [1] I was
> > surprised that it is also used for user questions.
> >
> > So to spare potential subscribers from reading the long description on
> > [1] and to make it apparent from the list name where to subscribe to, I
> > suggest to rename the list to sane-discuss and forward messages to
> > `sane-devel` to it for some time.
> >
> > If that is not possible at all, it would be great if the Mailing lists
> > Web page [1] could be restructured to have a short overview at the very
> > top with the descriptions from the Alioth list overview page [2].

> > [2] https://alioth.debian.org/mail/?group_id=30186

>      this list is about sane development, hence the name.

the description on [1] contradicts your statement.

        sane-devel is the main discussion list for SANE (Scanner Access
        Now Easy). Despite its name, it's also intended for users.

> Since there is no other mailing list for question not directly related
> to development, this list is the only place where it can be posted.

Ok.

> Having one mailing list is good enough for me.

Also fine.

> No need to change name.

As you wrote above despite the original intention or not this list is
used not only for development. So not to confuse interested subscribers
changing the name would be *useful*.

> On Alioth the list is described by  'Discussion about SANE (Scanner
> Access Now Easy) for users and developers' . Looks good to me.

It looks like you did not understand my message. (Interleaved quoting
style might help with that. ;-)) Anyway, I wrote that I like the short
overview at Alioth better than the long description used at the SANE Web
page [1].

Thanks,

Paul

PS: From other lists I am used to only receive plain text messages.
Could you configure Thunderbird to just send plain text stuff.
Especially as my mobile connection prices are quite high. ;-)