[sane-devel] Git best practices for proper application of patches

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 11 22:51:42 UTC 2013

Dear Stef,

sorry for stepping on toes. I do not want to fight and want the SANE
project to prosper!

Am Montag, den 11.02.2013, 20:32 +0100 schrieb stef:
> Le 11/02/2013 11:15, Paul Menzel a écrit :

[…]

> if you are upset because attribution for the trailing whitespace
> removal, I can consider that.

That was another side effect, which I do not care much about. Though it
is also good development practice to know the author. Git stores the
committer too and you can display it for example using `git log
--format=fuller`.

> But #314012, is incomplete, I should have rejected as such (and not
> marked it fixed). Since cppcheck seems to bail out on the first
> occurence of the same memleak in a function, you have to rerun it after
> fixing each error to get sure everything is fine like I did. So it is
> clearly my work.

I am sorry that I do not have a crystal bowl handy telling me what you
did. You should have simply told me by replying to the bug report or
mention it in the commit message. There is no problem with patches being
incomplete – though I admit it would be better that they are not. That
is review good for. So thank you for completing that fix.

> Like it was to set up a test script, take reference
> data and test, to ensure there is no regression in sane-desc.

So? Please document how you do regression tests and publish that script.

[The following should have been a separate thread. Mixing discussions
wastes time too.]

> By
> - asking to rename the list because you didn't pay attention to its notice

Would you please read my message again! You clearly did not understand
it!

> - thinking I am the project leader while it is Allan (who is doing a
> great job BTW)

And what is the problem about that? Where could I have found out besides
that he did the latest release(s)?

Besides such terms being not very clear, looking at the commit log you
clearly are doing a lot of coding too, so you I would consider you part
of the “core developers”.

> - telling bug tracker is not used

Quoting my comment in #314019 [1] (Alioth-URLs are insane):

        I think the tracker is not used a lot anymore by the current
        developers.

So I stated that I might be wrong. Additionally you told me beforehand
on the list, that you do not use it a lot.

> - going ballistic on such mundane thing than a few extra spaces

Sorry, what are you referring to?

> - teaching lesson on bug reporting to someone that has already went
> through the hassle of registering to the bug tracker and posting to the list
> you're neither building cooperation nor helping us.

Sorry, again I do not understand what you are referring you. The reason
might very well be that English is not my native language.

> I didn't expect to have burning so much of my free time on such
> activities tonight, when I planned to work on a LiDE60 bug. I still
> think you are welcome provide you stay constructive.

I very much try to stay constructive. Even though I have the impression
you are getting quite hostile for no reason as your points above are
incorrect in my opinion. And I am very much trying to be polite.

It looks like you have the same view towards myself.

So let’s hope, that most of this is all a misunderstanding.

> Did you get notice of yesterday's comments on #314014 and #314015 ?
> There is real work to do on these.

Sure. (Though Alioth notification message are not very helpful (muddled,
no threading.)

My parents use GNU/Linux and that HP Photosmart 2610 device. So first I
will respond when I have access again and second there are enough bugs
in all kind of programs needing to be fixed so my parents are not upset.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=410366&aid=314011&group_id=30186