[sane-devel] Trouble with sanei_usb change (commit ef5820ce6238469b9946b37e21ec5355edfa520a)

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Thu Feb 28 21:51:05 UTC 2013

On 28/02/2013 08:14, Gerhard Jäger wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> On Thursday 28 February 2013 07:28:55 Stef wrote:

> sorry for that - I think I was too fast and remember that ages ago this
> was the reason, why we didn't free devname...
> [...]
>>       regarding the memory leak, the following patch takes care of the
>> case where memory is leaked on device that get unplugged or powered off.
>>        About the few bytes left when a backend exits, what is really
>> needed is a sanei_usb_exit function. This function would free allocated
>> resources when the last user of sanei_usb_init() calls it.
> [...]
>
> okay - I'd say, apply the patch and if possible make a proposal for
> sanei_usb_exit() or _cleanup().
>
> TIA
>   Gerhard

     Hello,

     I have applied the patch to sanei_usb.c .
     Since actual device scanning takes place in sanei_usb_init, some
backends call it each time sane_get_device is called. So counting the
number of user of the resources can't currently be done, and we cannot
free resources until last user leave. When backends are loaded by the
same frontend (such as saned) we cannot currently find if it safe to
free resources.
     So be able to free the few lost bytes we have to:
     - move the usb device scanning logic out of sanei_usb_init() and
publish it as sanei_usb_rescan()
     - make sure all backends use sanei_usb_init() only once
     - make sure backends use sanei_usb_rescan()
     - create a sanei_usb_exit() that free allocated resources
     - make sure all backends use sanei_usb_exit()

     This is quite some work for an handful of leaked bytes and need
serious testing (even a test suite with mock device).

Regards,
     Stef