[sane-devel] Canon Pixma MP280: Error during device I/O

Lars Noschinski lars at public.noschinski.de
Sun Jan 13 14:24:57 UTC 2013

Hi Wilhelm,

Wilhelm <wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de> wrote::
>> I am trying to get an Canon Pixma MP280 to scan an image. I am using the
>> sane-backends-1.0.23,
>> (packaged for Ubuntu from
>> https://launchpad.net/~nathan-renniewaldock/+archive/sane) on Ubuntu 12.04.
>> The scanner is detected without a problem, but if I try to scan an
>> image, scanimage returns "Error during device I/O". Before this error
>> occurs, I can hear that the scanner is moving its head shortly. Despite
>> the error being "ETIMEDOUT", scanimage does not run for a long time; and
>> most of that time is spent in device discovery.
>
> please check if your usb interface stays on status power/control=on.
> If it is on power/control=auto (usb autosuspend) some usb-scanners
> have problems.

This seems to be ok:

$ cd /sys/bus/usb/devices/6-1
$ cat manufacturer product power/control
Canon
MP280 series
on

> On ubuntu 12.04 there seems to be a problem with udev rules: make a
> test moving /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules to
> ../99-libsane.rules. Don't forget udevadm control --reload-rules and
> replug the scanner.

If I do this, scanimage does not detect the scanner anymore:

$ scanimage -L

$ sane-find-scanner

   # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
   # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
   # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

   # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 002:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 003:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 004:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 005:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 006:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 007:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0001 at 008:001: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x05c6/0x9204 at 001:003: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04f2/0xb1b4 at 002:003: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x0a5c/0x217f at 008:002: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04a9/0x1746 at 006:012: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)
   # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
   # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and
have setup
   # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

   # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

   # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
   # can't be detected by this program.

   # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
   # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
   # necessary.