[sane-devel] scanning for archival and OCR

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Jan 22 23:18:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:34:05PM -0500, David H. Durgee wrote:
> I am trying to determine how best to scan and save these documents.

I have found the following process to be useful:

Scanner input, jpg (or pdf)

tidy up image using 'unpapered'

convert to grayscale via ppmtopgm -> pamtotiff

OCR using tesseract

Tesseract can embed the OCR in the PDF (search for tesseract hocr),
too.

This is a makefile I use to automate that process, starting from a PDF
(image only) generated by my scanner:

http://www.martindengler.com/proj/scan-post-process-Makefile

...like so:

make -f scan-post-process-Makefile  $(basename input.pdf .pdf)-processed

Tesseract isn't perfect, but it's pretty good.

> Dave

Martin