[sane-devel] Help needed diagnosing strange failure to scan with Samsung SCX-4500W

Thorsten Müller thorsten at mueller-kleinheinz.de
Fri Jun 14 10:25:56 UTC 2013

Hello Mike,

Am Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013, 16:26:45 schrieb Mike Cloaked:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Thorsten Müller <t.mueller at die-
apis.de>wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't know if your problem still exists since it's about a month
> > back you wrote about it, but I did not find any post regarding a
> > solution.
> >
> > Since the automagic setup by your distro's predefined udev rules
> > seems to fail, we have to force udev doing our biding.
> >
> > First, comment out the above line in 70-printers-rules.
> > Second, create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-samsung-scx4500w.rules
> >
> > Third, add the follwing lines to the newly created file:
> >
> > --- Start here ---
> > # ACL settings for Samsung SCX-4500W printer MFP
> > ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="342b", GOTO="samsung"
> > GOTO="samsung_end"
> >
> > LABEL="samsung"
> > RUN+="/bin/setfacl -m g:scanner:rw -m g:lp:rw $env{DEVNAME}"
> > TEST=="/var/run/ConsoleKit/database", \
> >
> >         RUN+="udev-acl --action=$env{ACTION} --device=$env{DEVNAME}"
> >
> > LABEL="samsung_end"
> > --- Stop here ---
> >
> > You can copy and paste the aboce lines. That should set the
> > permissions for your multi function device so that sane, cups and
> > your logged in users have complete access. Unplug and plug in again
> > and see if that works.
>
> Having re-read your proposed solution I can see that it will need some
> amending because firstly setacl is in /usr/bin/setacl in arch now
> (after a big move to /usr ) instead of /bin/setfacl- and also arch is
> no longer using ConsoleKit so there is no  /var/run/ConsoleKit/
>
> So the setting of the necessary permissions will need to be achieved
> with some differences in the lines in the new file
> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-samsung-scx4500w.rules
>
> When I get a chance I will have to do some reading but if you can see
> the alternative lines that will likely work instead I would certainly
> appreciate it.

I just did a quick google search. Since I don't know how archlinux
handles logins and security, I cannot offer lots of help at this point.
If you use systemd, then systemd can be used to set the ACLs, but since
I don't use systemd, I don't know much about it. Perhaps it's enough to
just set the group ACLs and no user ACLs, so you could just delete the
line starting with TEST.

HTH
Greetings
Thorsten