[sane-devel] USB device 05a9:1550 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. VEHO Filmscanner

Aidan Karley aidan_karley at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 7 11:29:32 UTC 2013

Back in 2011 I asked about support for the Veho OmniVision slide scanner.

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2011-July/028776.html

Although I've been scanning this mailing list ever since (and not terribly fussed over the machine - my need for slide scanning urgently abated with the funeral), there has been no substantive response from
"Glenn Howald glenn.howald at gmail.com wrote
>I am starting work on testing my transparency scanner (with a desire to get it to
>work as a scanner or camera under Linux) because it is no longer supported under
>Windoze 7. "

So it seems there is no further work on this project. Or have I just been missing any contributions from Glenn?

I'm going through the "old stuff" boxes now, and don't know if I should throw this away, or try to get it to work.

lsusb returns :

05a9:1550 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. VEHO Filmscanner

aidank at aidank-laptop:~$ sane-find-scanner

  # blah

found USB scanner (vendor=0x05a9, product=0x1550) at libusb:001:006
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

Probing the device with scanimage :

aidank at aidank-laptop:~$ scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22
aidank at aidank-laptop:~$ scanimage -L

My system is a somewhat mucked-about Ubuntu 11 - it started as Ubuntu 10, and when the upgrade to 11 foisted that horrible Unity thing on me, I had to fight to get it back to something usable and have rejected an OS upgrade since. I'm wondering which way to go on that front, but that's a separate question.

So, any progress on these chips? Or shall I just junk the machine and let it fade into history.

Incidentally, as a contributor to the OpenVizsela project, there should be OpenHardware USB sniffers on the market in the fairly near future. That's another sideline to this saga.

Back in the box it goes.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen,