[sane-devel] Help needed diagnosing strange failure to scan with Samsung SCX-4500W

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu May 9 19:00:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Theodore
>

>> When you successfully scan on the laptop, when did you hook up the
>> scanner? Before booting? Or after?
>>
>> After booting.

I just ran a new test with the printer already plugged in during boot - the
scanner worked fine. However since there is no definition line for the
printer in the udev rules file this is perhaps not a surprise.

>> If the above is "yes" then what happens if you hook it to the laptop, boot
>> the laptop, and then try to use the scanner? Clearly, I am suspecting that
>> you will suddenly not be able to access the scanner. But by all means
>> do confirm that I am right or wrong.
>>
>> I could certainly try that - but haven't yet. I guess you are suggesting
> that a kernel module will be loaded at boot and then conflict with the
> scanner?

As above - printer is hooked up to laptop which is then booted - scanning
works fine. The printer is not set up on that machine.

--
mike c